Week 14 Story: The Dog and the Corpse

 When I was very young, my mother abandoned me and my siblings. I'll never understand why she did that. I was the only one who managed to survive. It was a cold night and I could feel myself getting very weak and tired. Luckily, a human scooped me into its arms and took me to its den. Ever since, Master and I have been the best of friends. We would spend everyday together and it made me so happy. I could tell Master was happy too by the noises he would make when we played. Sometimes if I was lucky, I would be able to hunt with him! That was the most fun! Mostly we would hunt deer but sometimes we would come across a bear or even wolves! We were never in any trouble though, because we would always protect each other.

Today is one of those days that we hunt together! Normally we would stay along the tree line, but today Master decided to go deep into the forest on an old path. I can't complain, there are so many new smells out here! I trot a few paces ahead of Master, smelling out what the forest might be hiding from us. Suddenly I pick up a rotten odor. It's kind of like rotting flesh, but different somehow. I bark at Master to alert him to this new smell. He responds with his own sounds but he seems to not care like I do. He keeps going and I reluctantly follow. 

We round the corner of the path and suddenly we see something a ways down the path. It looks human, just like Master, but its floating. The smell I picked up earlier is even stronger now. It must be coming from that creature! I growl and Master shouts out at it. The creature makes a very loud sound and begins to quickly approach us. I could tell it wanted to hurt the Master so I did what I had to. I ran towards the creature and bit into one of its legs to stop it in its tracks. I know Master would do the same for me! As I grip onto the creature with all of my strength, I look at Master. He's terrified by his body language. I'm scared too, I have never seen a creature like this before. Suddenly, he turns and runs the opposite direction until he disappears into the forest. 

Master? Where are you going? Please don't leave me!

Dog hunting with his master - Source

Author's Note: Hey! Thanks for reading! This week I read a Russian tale called The Dog and the Corpse. It was about a man and his dog coming across a haunted ghost. The man ends up leaving the dog behind to fend for itself. When the dog finally returns to the village, he is furious that his master abandoned him. As a result he attacks the master and ends up getting killed. The story did not focus much on the dog, so that's what I wanted to do here! The original story was a 3rd person perspective so I re-told it as a 1st person perspective from the dog's point of view. This way maybe we can understand why the dog was so furious at the master in the first place!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Christian the future Mammalogist

Week 6 Story - Man in the Moon Revisited